Met chief refuses 'false' apology over dead children's identities
Tuesday 12 February 2013
Britain's most senior police officer said today an apology for the use of dead children's identities would be “pretty false” as investigators do not yet know who is affected.
Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe insisted that there is no reluctance to say sorry after claims that undercover officers used the details to shore up their fake personas.
“I regret if anybody's been hurt by what happened. The main issue we've got is not a reluctance to apologise to anybody badly affected by it, it is actually establishing the facts,” he said.
“These are historical events. We are desperately trying to understand what happened, how many times did it happen and who is affected by it.
“Frankly, it would be a pretty false apology if we were to make it today because we don't even know who is affected by it.
“There's no reluctance to apologise once we've established the facts.”
His comments echo those of deputy assistant commissioner Patricia Gallan, who told MPs earlier this month that investigators were focusing on getting to the truth and that “at the appropriate time statements will be made”.
She said that the force had received two complaints but the parents concerned had not been informed.
Today, Sir Bernard said police had to consider the consequences of revealing the identities of former undercover officers.
“If we identify the name of the person who was involved, presumably as an undercover officer, and if the person against whom that undercover officer was deployed is unaware of it, but discovers through publication of that name that person was an undercover officer or may be, we've got to consider the consequences of that.
“Even though that's a fair amount of time ago, those officers are still around or retired.
“We've got to unpick all of that before we start approaching families. We've really got to think it through. If we do go to the family, we've got to accept that makes that information open.”
Yesterday it was announced that Derbyshire Police chief constable Mick Creedon has been asked to oversee the investigation into the Met's Special Demonstration Squad, which began in October 2011.
Sir Bernard said he had recommended calling in someone independent around six months ago.
He said: “I proposed about six months ago we had someone independent to lead this. It's the sort of allegations where if the Met concluded in an investigation we didn't find anything, people might say 'well that would be the case, wouldn't it'. That's a danger. The more independence the better.”
Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
Indian woman creates 'Marriage CV' after parents put her on dating site: 'Definitely not marriage material. Won’t grow long hair, ever'
Isis 'bulldozes' Nimrud: UNESCO condemns destruction of ancient Assyrian site as a 'war crime'
The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
Westboro Baptist Church couldn't picket Leonard Nimoy's funeral because they didn't know where it was
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Elif Shafak: Turkish author warns against rise of British nationalism
Ex-head of MI6: 'We shouldn't kid ourselves that Russia is on a path to democracy'
Most people think legal tax avoidance is just as wrong as illegal tax evasion, poll suggests
- 1 Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
- 3 World Book Day: Boy 'excluded' from school after dressing up as Fifty Shades' Christian Grey
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for