Millionaire dead in double shooting named
Forensic examinations were under way today at the scene of a double shooting which left a millionaire businessman dead and his partner in hospital.
Locals in the Staffordshire village of Brewood named the couple as former steel firm owner Howard Worthington and 47-year-old Julie Rees.
Ms Rees, who sustained two gunshot wounds, was taken to hospital from a property in Hyde Mill Lane at around 7.10pm yesterday.
An hour later, police discovered the body of Mr Worthington in a field bordering the house.
A spokeswoman for Staffordshire Police confirmed a firearm was recovered from the scene and that detectives were not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.
The spokeswoman said: "The scene in and around Hyde Mill Lane in Brewood remains cordoned off for forensic examination by Staffordshire Police scientific support experts.
"House-to-house inquiries are being conducted in the area.
"The 47-year-old woman remains in the University Hospital of North Staffordshire receiving treatment for gunshot wounds.
"Her injuries are described as not life-threatening."
Mr Worthington, who is thought to have been aged 52, made his fortune when he sold Wolverhampton-based EWS Manufacturing in a multi-million pound deal in the mid 1990s.
The firm produces aluminium and steel tubing.
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella