Mobile companies took five years to inform victims
Friday 03 February 2012
Vodafone, Orange and T-Mobile took five years to tell customers their voicemails had been hacked by the NOTW, they admitted to the Leveson Inquiry yesterday.
The networks found that 156 subscribers were victims after the paper's royal editor was arrested in 2006, but fears about prejudicing the police investigation meant Orange and T-Mobile did not tell customers until last July. Vodafone told victims only last month. O2 told its 40 customers five years ago.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
- 2 Loom bands: Bids for dress made from colourful rubber pass £170,000 on eBay
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week