Mother and son found dead in Edinburgh home
The bodies of a mother and her five-year-old son have been found in a house in Edinburgh.
The pair, named locally as Michelle and Leon Stevens, were found at around 5pm yesterday at a property in Parkhead Grove, in the city’s western suburb of Sighthill.
Lothian and Borders Police are treating the deaths as "unexplained" but are not thought to be looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.
A police spokesman said: "This would appear to be a very tragic set of circumstances involving the deaths of a young woman and her child.
"Our inquiries are at a very early stage and centre on their movements yesterday and how they died."
A neighbour who asked not to be named said: "I knew the little boy and the woman who lived there just to see.
"He was a lovely wee boy and seemed very happy. The mother was quite quiet but you could tell she was a good mum.
"I was shocked when I saw all the police and heard they had died. It's such a quiet street, the kids can play there with no bother.
Floral tributes and cuddly toys were laid at the entrance to the property this morning. One bouquet bore a message which said: "RIP Michelle and Leon. You are with the angels."
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.