Mother jailed for force-feeding baby
Saturday 12 November 2011
A nurse who force-fed her baby, who later died, was jailed for three years yesterday.
Gloria Dwomoh, 31 was found guilty at the Old Bailey last month of causing or allowing the death of 10-month-old Diamond. The court heard she was obsessed with her daughter's weight and fed her with liquidised food from a jug when she was weaning her.
Diamond died in March last year after being taken to a hospital near her home in Waltham Forest, east London. A post-mortem examination found she died from pneumonia caused by food, including meat and cereals, in her lungs. The prosecution said the baby had been forced to take her feed from a jug after the spout was placed in her mouth "to prevent her closing it".
Trevor Burke QC, for the defence, said: "She has endured the loss of her child. She has been punished enough." He presented the court with a 1,000-signature petition pleading for mercy. But the Common Serjeant of London Judge Brian Barker described her actions as a "misguided obsession".
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Ed Miliband's 'north London set' must be demolished to save Labour, say critics
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship