Mother jailed for smothering child
Saturday 14 August 2010
A mother who smothered her three-year-old daughter with a soft toy has been jailed for life.
Helen Caudwell, 42, had denied murdering Bethany at her home in Stockport on 2 October last year. A judge at Manchester Crown Court ordered her to serve a minimum term of eight years.
The court heard that she had led a double life, and had told two men they were Bethany's father. She had entered into a custody battle over Bethany with her second husband, Miles Kennerly, just months after marrying him. Following the child's death, it was confirmed that Mark Davies was the father.
Bethany was found dead in a bed in Caudwell's flat by her mother's work colleagues. A Piglet toy was lying beside her.
Caudwell first told police she may have rolled over on to her daughter and suffocated her.
Later Caudwell, who has three teenage children, offered a defence of diminished responsibility.
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Germanwings plane crash: Co-pilot Andreas Lubitz wanted to 'do something people would remember him for'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 1 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 2 Watch: Man takes selfie every mile of 2,600 mile hike, creates amazing timelapse video
- 3 The day I starred in Only Fools and Horses
- 4 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 5 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories