Axe-wielding thieves smash through London jewellery shop as mother and baby cowering in back office

The woman and her one year old daughter were sheltered by the owner as his assistant tried to fight off the robbers

Click to follow

A terrified mother and her baby were left cowering in a office while an axe-wielding moped gang smashed their way into a jewellery shop in North London.

Seven armed robbers on three mopeds and in a car smashed into the Emirates jewellry shop in Kilburn in a raid that last just two minutes before making off with a £20,000 haul of jewellery and watches.

The owner, Talib Amin, helped four customers, including the mother and her one year old daughter, hide in the back of his family run shop during the incident at midday on Thursday.

Meanwhile his assistant was beaten to the ground and threatened with an axe as he attempted to barricade the door.

He was taken to hospital where he was treated for minor injuries and later released.


A family friend of the owners told the Evening Standard that they had only opened the shop three months earlier.

She said: “It was terrifying for everyone who was involved. Talib was just thinking of protecting his customers so got them inside the office. There was a mother and baby in there when it happened. It’s shocking.  

 “His assistant was so brave, trying to stop the robbers. He did everything he could but it was so dangerous. We are just grateful he was not killed. It has shaken everyone up quite badly.”

A Scotland Yard spokeswoman said: “Police were called at 12:05hrs on Thursday, 10 September, to a robbery at a jewellers in  Kilburn High Road.

“Seven suspects arrived at the location on three motorcycles and in a car. They were armed with axes.

“They robbed the jewellers and made off on two of the motorcycles and in the car. The third motorcycle was left at the scene following a collision with a lorry. This motorcycle was recovered together with a quantity of the stolen property.

“Officers from the Flying Squad are investigating but there has been no arrest at this early stage.”

The spokeswoman told the Independent that they had not been made aware of any injuries.

Anyone with information can contact police on 101.