Mother says police denied her justice after model's death fall
From the blogs
Time for the monthly treat from David Hayes, who writes about British politics for the Australian In...
Cask ale brewers don’t come much bigger than Marston’s. In fact the brewery, which also owns thousan...
Nadine Dorries talks freely about many things, but not whether she was paid to go on I'm a Cleberity...
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
The mother of a model who plunged to her death from the 12th floor of a luxury apartment block said she had been "denied justice" after a coroner recorded an open verdict.
Sahar Daftary, 23, from Brentford, west London, a former Face of Asia winner, fell from the balcony of her former boyfriend's £800,000 apartment in Salford Quays, Greater Manchester, on 20 December, 2008.
She had travelled to Manchester earlier that day to take part in a fashion show and gone to the flat of property developer Rashid Jamil. The inquest, at Bolton Coroner's Court, heard earlier this week that Mr Jamil and Miss Daftary had "married" in an Islamic ceremony a year earlier but the wedding has no legal status in the UK.
The father-of-two was already married to another woman when his relationship began with Miss Daftary, a student at Thames Valley University.
In a statement released following the verdict, Miss Daftary's mother, Anisa, said: "All we have wanted was justice, a right that has been denied us by police and their failure to properly investigate what happened to her."
- 1 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 2 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 3 Should we intervene? Our response to the Charles Saatchi and Nigella Lawson assault is shocking too
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for further 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Charles Saatchi accepts police caution for assault after trying to dismiss Nigella Lawson row as 'playful tiff'
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
Google, BT and Yahoo! agree plan to tackle child porn
Exposed: Edward Erin, the doctor whose faked asthma drug test results proved fatal