MP's wife Christine Hemming denies kitten theft
Monday 07 February 2011
The wife of a Liberal Democrat MP today denied burgling the home of her husband's lover and stealing a kitten.
Christine Hemming, who is married to Birmingham Yardley MP John Hemming, pleaded not guilty to the charge of burglary during a brief hearing at Birmingham Crown Court.
Mrs Hemming, of Moseley, Birmingham, is alleged to have burgled the home of Emily Cox, a researcher with whom her husband fathered a child in 2005.
The 52-year-old defendant told the court: "Apologies to the public purse, but I am not guilty."
It is alleged that the politician's wife burgled Ms Cox's home in Church Road, Moseley, on September 29 last year and stole a tabby kitten to the value of £20, contrary to the 1968 Theft Act.
Mrs Hemming was bailed to appear at Birmingham Crown Court for trial on June 21.
Ryan Gosling granted temporary restraining order against a woman 'convinced she was his twin flame'
Jennifer Lawrence sings in new The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt 1 clip on YouTube
Mike Nichols dead: The Graduate director dies suddenly following cardiac arrest
Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'