MP's wife Christine Hemming denies kitten theft
Monday 07 February 2011
The wife of a Liberal Democrat MP today denied burgling the home of her husband's lover and stealing a kitten.
Christine Hemming, who is married to Birmingham Yardley MP John Hemming, pleaded not guilty to the charge of burglary during a brief hearing at Birmingham Crown Court.
Mrs Hemming, of Moseley, Birmingham, is alleged to have burgled the home of Emily Cox, a researcher with whom her husband fathered a child in 2005.
The 52-year-old defendant told the court: "Apologies to the public purse, but I am not guilty."
It is alleged that the politician's wife burgled Ms Cox's home in Church Road, Moseley, on September 29 last year and stole a tabby kitten to the value of £20, contrary to the 1968 Theft Act.
Mrs Hemming was bailed to appear at Birmingham Crown Court for trial on June 21.
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
food + drinkHow one grocery e-tailer is gearing up for the Yuletide rush
food + drink
travelFor broadcaster Mishal Husain, a long-haul Club Med holiday was a chance for her family to explore its sense of 'zen' and 'animation'
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Queen to miss Nelson Mandela funeral over security and long-haul flight concerns
'Never a good time to increase MPs' pay': Jack Straw defends politicians' 11% pay rise in face of public outrage
The 'terrorist' and the Tories: What did Nelson Mandela really think of Margaret Thatcher?
Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >