Naked climber on offensive weapon charge
Sunday 25 November 2012
A man who stripped naked on top of a statue in central London has been charged with possession of an offensive weapon in a public place.
Dan Motrescu, 29, a Ukrainian of no fixed abode, was also charged with criminal damage, Scotland Yard said.
He is due to appear at Westminster magistrates' court today.
The section of Westminster was brought to a halt for nearly three hours on Friday as Mr Motrescu straddled the statue in front of hordes of onlookers.
He was seen in a variety of poses on the statue of Prince George, the Duke of Cambridge, in Whitehall, waving his arms around and was talking to crews on the ground and at times balancing precariously on the Duke's head.
Onlookers said he was clothed before he climbed to top of the statue.
A 100-metre stretch of Whitehall was cordoned off as emergency services tried to persuade him to come down.
President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
UK weather: Warning for more snow and ice as freezing temperatures and gales hit Britain
New York police shooting: thousands turn out for the funeral of Rafael Ramos
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
- 1 The political parties aren't all the same – which means 2015 will be a 'big-choice' election
- 2 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real