Naked climber on offensive weapon charge
Sunday 25 November 2012
A man who stripped naked on top of a statue in central London has been charged with possession of an offensive weapon in a public place.
Dan Motrescu, 29, a Ukrainian of no fixed abode, was also charged with criminal damage, Scotland Yard said.
He is due to appear at Westminster magistrates' court today.
The section of Westminster was brought to a halt for nearly three hours on Friday as Mr Motrescu straddled the statue in front of hordes of onlookers.
He was seen in a variety of poses on the statue of Prince George, the Duke of Cambridge, in Whitehall, waving his arms around and was talking to crews on the ground and at times balancing precariously on the Duke's head.
Onlookers said he was clothed before he climbed to top of the statue.
A 100-metre stretch of Whitehall was cordoned off as emergency services tried to persuade him to come down.
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 3 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet