New arrest as Jimmy Savile investigation widens
Thursday 15 November 2012
Police investigating the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal made a further arrest today as they revealed the number of potential victims has risen to 450.
A man in his 60s, from Bedfordshire, was held at 7.45am on suspicion of sexual offences and is being questioned.
Scotland Yard said the allegations against him do not directly involve Savile, and are classed under the strand of their investigation termed "others".
The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) is leading a national investigation into abuse allegations made against disgraced TV presenter Savile.
So far, around 450 potential victims have come forward and 200 allegations of sexual assault have been made.
This has risen from around 300 possible victims the force said they were dealing with last month.
The vast majority of allegations have been made against Savile.
Officers are looking at three strands within their inquiry: claims against Savile, those against Savile and others, and those against others.
Most of the "others" allegations have been made against people associated with the entertainment industry.
So far Gary Glitter, comedian Freddie Starr and a 73-year-old man have been arrested and bailed in connection with the investigation, along with today's arrest.
Children's charity the NSPCC said it had received 236 calls about Savile, an average of five per day, since the first sexual abuse allegations emerged.
The number of contacts made about other claims of sexual abuse has trebled in the last month, rising to 550.
Director of the NSPCC's helpline Peter Watt said: "It's crucial that people continue to come forward, whether they have information about Savile or anyone else. Our prime focus has to be on protecting children, particularly those unable to speak out themselves, and bringing offenders to justice.
"Sometimes people wait months or years before reporting abuse but we would urge them to act quickly so they can get help as soon as possible. While the whole Savile episode has been distressing it has also led to more victims of abuse seeking support, which is positive."
The former judge leading the BBC inquiry into the Savile scandal has launched an appeal for witnesses.
Dame Janet Smith, who is reviewing the corporation's practices during the Savile years, called on potential victims, witnesses, people who worked with the TV presenter and senior staff at the time to assist the investigation.
According to the inquiry's website, the review also wants to hear from people "who were familiar with the culture or practices of the BBC" in terms of "preventing or enabling the sexual abuse of children, young people or teenagers".
In addition, the Department of Health is investigating its own conduct after appointing Savile to head a taskforce at Broadmoor in 1988.
Scottish independence: Despite defeat history may still point to Alex Salmond as the victor
Scottish independence referendum: Frankie Boyle reacts to nation's 'No' vote - 'To be fair, I've always hated Scotland'
Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
Scottish referendum: Police struggle to control Unionist rally in Glasgow's George Square
Glasgow 'riots': 'Dishonest' social media users accused of fuelling panic with pictures from London riots
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 Friends 20th anniversary: The highs and lows of the cast's careers since 2004
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster