News of the World executive Greg Miskiw released on bail
Thursday 11 August 2011
A former News of the World executive arrested over phone hacking has been released on police bail.
Senior journalist Greg Miskiw, 61, was detained after visiting a London police station by appointment yesterday.
He has been released on police bail until October.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "At approximately midday on Wednesday August 10, a 61-year-old man was arrested by appointment at a London police station by officers from Operation Weeting.
"He was arrested on suspicion of unlawful interception of communications, contrary to Section1(1) Criminal Law Act 1977 and on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications, contrary to Section1(1) Criminal Law Act 1977.
"He has subsequently been released on bail to a date in October pending further inquiries."
Mr Miskiw, who has been living in the US since leaving a senior editorial post at News International, told reporters last month he was planning to return to the UK to meet officers.
He is believed to have left the recently-axed Sunday tabloid in 2005 before moving to Florida after a spell in Manchester.
The arrest by Operation Weeting detectives comes a week after Stuart Kuttner, the former managing editor of the News of the World, was held on suspicion of phone hacking and inappropriate payments to police.
Mr Miskiw was the 12th person to be arrested since Scotland Yard's fresh investigation into phone hacking was launched in January.
These include a series of high-profile figures, including former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks and ex-Downing Street communications chief Andy Coulson.
The scandal has already caused the closure of the News of the World after 168 years and the resignation of two top police officers, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson and Assistant Commissioner John Yates.
The latest arrest came as Scotland Yard announced its communication chief Dick Fedorcio had been ordered to serve a "period of extended leave" following an allegation of gross misconduct over the hacking scandal.
Mr Fedorcio is being investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) over his relationship with hacking suspect Neil Wallis.
The IPCC has told Mr Fedorcio that the investigation will examine whether he has committed any act of gross misconduct surrounding a contract the force gave to Mr Wallis's PR firm.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "To allow Mr Fedorcio to prepare for the IPCC investigation it has been agreed that he can work from home on a period of extended leave until the matter is resolved.
"Mr Fedorcio also accepts that it would be inappropriate for him to continue to come into the office whilst there was an ongoing investigation and until other directorate of public affairs staff had been interviewed."
Commissioner's chief of staff Caroline Murdoch will take over his duties in the interim.
Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
How China's richest man Li Hejun lost $15bn in an hour - and made a fortune
Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says