Nightclub crush teenager 'asphyxiated'


Click to follow
The Independent Online

A 19-year-old woman who was killed after being crushed in a nightclub is thought to have died from injuries that affected her breathing, an inquest has heard.

Laurene-Danielle Jackson, from Wembley, north London, was injured when revellers rushed for exits at Northampton's Lava and Ignite nightclub in the early hours of October 19.

Opening the inquest into her death today coroner Anne Pember told Northampton Coroner's Court a post-mortem exam found Miss Jackson's injuries were likely to have been caused by traumatic asphyxia.

Reading from a pathologist's report, Mrs Pember told the inquest: "The examination identified no specific acute injuries, the cause of death is pending the evaluation of medical notes and further tests, and the cause of death is not inconsistent with traumatic asphyxia."

Miss Jackson was taken to Leicester's Glenfield Hospital but died from her injuries on November 6.

Nabila Nanfuka, 22, from Neasden, north-west London, was also killed in the accident.

At the opening of the inquest into her death last month the court heard that she died from traumatic crush asphyxia shortly after the incident.

The pair had been among party-goers at the Wickedest Wickedest event at the club.

Witnesses described how people inside rushed for the exits as an announcement was made that their buses home were about to leave.

Northamptonshire Police are also investigating claims that the sounding of fire alarms could have prompted the rush.

During the brief hearing today Mrs Pember urged witnesses who were in the club to come forward to help the force.

She said: "I would plead to young persons present on the evening of October 18 at Lava and Ignite nightclub in Northampton to come forward and assist police in any way they can.

"In particular any young persons who may have photographic evidence on their mobile phone, I would plead to them please to come forward and assist Northamptonshire Police in their investigation into the untimely deaths of these two young people."

Mrs Pember adjourned Miss Jackson's inquest to a date to be set.