No action to be taken over hacking investigation officer
Tuesday 16 October 2012
A police officer accused of passing information to a News International executive about the phone hacking investigation will face no further action, it was announced today.
The senior Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) officer met the member of staff, who was a potential victim of phone hacking, in 2006 to see if they would be willing to give a witness statement.
During the meeting it was alleged that the officer passed on information about the phone hacking investigation.
A file was passed to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) earlier this year so that prosecutors could consider whether the officer had committed misconduct in public office.
Today legal adviser to the director of public prosecutions Alison Levitt QC said: "The purpose of the meeting was to gauge the willingness of the journalist, as a potential victim of crime, to provide a witness statement to support the ongoing prosecution.
"The evidence showed that the meeting had been convened in accordance with the MPS' victim strategy for this investigation.
"The evidence also showed that the nature of the matters subsequently discussed at the meeting was not such as to amount to wilful misconduct or neglect on the part of the officer, and the conduct was therefore not such as to amount to an abuse of the public's trust.
"There was no evidence to suggest that the officer had behaved corruptly or dishonestly.
"Accordingly, having reviewed the evidence carefully in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors, we have reached the conclusion that there is insufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction in this case."
Police watchdog the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said it will now prepare a report, and the Metropolitan Police can then consider whether it needs to take disciplinary action.
Scotland Yard referred the allegation to the IPCC in February on the basis of documents uncovered as part of Operation Elveden, a probe into alleged corrupt payments to public officials by journalists and illegal leaking of confidential information.
The meeting took place during the previous investigation into phone hacking in 2006, and there was no suggestion that any payment was made, the watchdog said.
Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
Edgar Froese dead: Tangerine Dream founder dies aged 70
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Syrian refugee child beaten by Istanbul Burger King manager for eating customer’s leftover food
Iraq invasion 2003: The bloody warnings six wise men gave to Tony Blair as he prepared to launch poorly planned campaign
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
- 1 Rowan Atkinson to sell £10 million McLaren 'supercar' he crashed into a tree and a lamppost
- 2 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 3 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 5 Men behaving badly: Urinating while standing, 'manspreading' and the gendering of selfishness