Northern Ireland: Tensions rise as police find rocket launcher
Wednesday 27 February 2013
A rocket launcher and warhead were discovered by police investigating possible action from dissident republicans in west Belfast as tensions escalated ahead of marching season.
The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) said the weapons had been discovered as part of an investigation into republican terrorism at a house in Hawthorn Street on Monday night. "The recovery of these items has saved lives," said a PSNI spokesman.
Nearby homes were evacuated during the operation, but residents were then allowed to return.
The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Opponents of Israel's military operation in Gaza are the real enemies of Middle Eastern peace
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 4 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star, dies aged 45
- 5 Businessman charged £75 for three small bottles of water in London hotel