Nurse jailed for killing her parents
Friday 01 October 2010
A nurse found guilty of using "extreme violence" to murder her elderly parents was jailed for life yesterday with a minimum term of 18 years.
Susan Toop killed her father, Arthur Toop, 82, and mother, Joan, 74, at their bungalow in Bournemouth on 28 November 2008. The unmarried 54-year-old, who lived with her parents, stabbed them several times before hitting them repeatedly with a flat iron. Toop had pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility, but was found guilty of murder by a jury at Winchester Crown Court in July.
Sentenced to two life terms at the Royal Courts of Justice in London by Mr Justice David Clarke, Toop was told by the judge she had done a "terrible thing", killing her parents with "great violence".
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
- 1 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 Is Ebola coming to Britain? UK health officials issue warning to doctors as outbreak fears grow
- 4 Richard Dawkins says 'date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse' on Twitter
- 5 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- < Previous
- Next >