Parents bailed in 'honour killing' murder probe

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The parents of suspected honour killing victim Shafilea Ahmed were bailed pending further inquiries today after being questioned by police over her murder.

The Muslim teenager disappeared from her home in Warrington, Cheshire, in 2003 and it was feared she was being forced into an arranged marriage.

Her decomposed remains were discovered in Cumbria five months later.

Her father, Iftikhar, 50, and mother, Faranza, 47, have always denied any involvement in Shafilea's death and said they would never have forced her into a marriage she did not want.

The couple were arrested on suspicion of murder at their home yesterday morning but have now been released from custody, Cheshire Police confirmed.

A police spokesman said: "The 50-year-old man and 47-year-old woman arrested yesterday in connection with the murder of Shafilea Ahmed in 2003 have been released on bail pending further police inquiries."

Shafilea, 17, was last seen alive, doing her homework at home, on September 11, 2003, her inquest was told.

The bright student, who hoped to become a solicitor, was reported missing a week later by a former school teacher.

Mr Ahmed said he did not report her missing because police dismissed his previous reports that she had disappeared in November 2002 and January 2003.

A few months earlier, during a trip to Pakistan to meet a prospective husband, Shafilea had refused an arranged marriage and had drunk bleach.

Shafilea also ran away for 10 days in February 2003 when she told housing officers: "My parents are going to send me to Pakistan and I'll be married to someone and left there."

In his inquest evidence, Mr Ahmed told the hearing that such an arrangement needed the consent of the boy and girl.

He said he accepted his daughter's reply of "no way" when a potential suitor was mentioned.

Shafilea's body was discovered after heavy floods washed away the dense undergrowth where it was hidden on the banks of the River Kent at Sedgwick, Cumbria, in February 2004.

Coroner for East and South Cumbria Ian Smith, who conducted the inquest in January 2008, concluded she suffered a "vile murder".

Mr Smith said: "I believe she was taken from her home.

"I do not believe she ran away."

Last month it emerged that her youngster sister, Alisha, 22, was questioned by police investigating an armed robbery at their family home.