Parents in court over Derby house fire
Thursday 31 May 2012
The parents of six children killed in a house fire appeared in court today charged with their murders.
Mick Philpott, 55, and his wife Mairead, 31, appeared at Derby Magistrates' Court charged with murder following the blaze at the house on Victory Road in Allenton, Derby, on May 11.
Their children Jade, 10, and brothers John, nine, Jack, seven, Jessie, six, and Jayden, five, all died in the fire, and a sixth sibling Duwayne, 13, died of his injuries in Birmingham Children's Hospital two days later.
A man and a woman had to be escorted from the court by police and court officials after shouting out "scum" and "bastards" during the 10-minute hearing.
The Philpotts, who showed no emotion as they stood in the dock, were remanded into custody.
They will appear at Nottingham Crown Court tomorrow.
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice