Parents to face charges for failing to prevent FGM
David Cameron attending Girl Summit to announce a £1.4m FGM-prevention programme for survivors and those at risk of the practice
Tuesday 22 July 2014
Parents will face prosecution if they fail to prevent their daughters from being subjected to female genital mutilation (FGM) under new legislation.
The measures will be announced by David Cameron today at an event in London, alongside powers to combat forced marriage and an international charter calling for the eradication of these practices within a generation.
The Prime Minister will attend the Girl Summit to announce a £1.4m FGM-prevention programme for survivors and those at risk of the practice.
Mr Cameron said: “All girls have the right to live free from violence and coercion, without being forced into marriage or the life-long physical and psychological effects of female genital mutilation.
“Abhorrent practices like these, no matter how deeply rooted in societies, violate the rights of girls and women across the world, including here in the UK.”
Further measures to be unveiled at the international event include a consultation on civil orders to protect at‑risk girls, lifetime anonymity for victims from the moment they make an allegation and a specialist service including social workers proactively seeking to identify cases.
However, Unicef warned ahead of the summit that while the rate of FGM and child marriage has fallen over the past three decades, population increase in developing nations alone could reverse this trend if “intensive action” is not introduced.
It said its research showed that more than 130 million girls and women have experienced some form of FGM in the 29 countries in Africa and the Middle East where it is most common.
The conference brings world leaders, survivors, ministers and charities from across the world to galvanise efforts to end practices such as FGM and forced marriage, both in the UK and overseas.
FGM has been a criminal offence in the UK since 1985, carrying a prison sentence of up to 14 years. Earlier this month a select committee of MPs estimated 170,000 women and girls in the UK had undergone the procedure, branding it a “national scandal”.
Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
Who should I vote for? The Independent quiz matches best political party for undecided voters ahead of the general election
Mysterious 'X-Files' sounds heard miles above the Earth
Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
Met Gala 2015: Beyoncé manages to out-skimp Rihanna, Miley and Kim Kardashian combined with near-naked ensemble
In defence of liberal democracy
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
- 2 Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Ryan Gosling posts tribute to 'Ryan Gosling Won't Eat His Cereal' creator Ryan McHenry