Pet shop workers suspended after puppy death
Two pet shop employees have been suspended after a Shih Tzu puppy died when it visited the store for grooming, it emerged today.
The six-month-old pedigree puppy, named Daisy, was taken by owner Travis Melton, 15, to Pets at Home in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, to have her fur cut, washed and dried.
The teenager and his mother Sarah, 33, returned after 90 minutes to collect their pet only to be told she had died in an accident at the parlour.
A spokesman for Pets at Home said he could not comment on whether the death of the dog had been caused by a prolonged amount of time spent in a drying cage and said an investigation had been launched into the circumstances.
Dominic Jordan, from Pets at Home, said: "We were deeply saddened by the death of this dog during a grooming appointment.
"We immediately suspended the two groomers involved and are conducting a full investigation to find out what happened.
"Everyone at Pets at Home is passionate about pets and for our colleagues in-store the welfare of animals is their number one priority.
"We have given our condolences to the family and done everything we can to comfort them at this difficult time."
Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
Michael Brown shooting: Ferguson police shoot and kill second young black man
James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
Iraq crisis: Islamic State's message to America - 'We will drown you all in blood'
Ferguson: In the heartlands of America, a descent into madness
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations