Phone hacking victims' lawyer Charlotte Harris was target of 'vast gossip dossier'
Charlotte Harris, a lawyer, has claimed that private investigators compiled a dossier of "gossip" about her private life when she acted on behalf of victims of phone hacking.
Giving evidence to the Home Affairs Select Committee, Ms Harris said that News Corp's management and standards committee had passed some details about her surveillance to Scotland Yard. Ms Harris, a partner at Mishcon de Reya, claimed she was targeted because she had "stumbled across a ream of activity that News International didn't want to come out". She added: "The police showed me the file. It was vast compared to evidence I've seen on other people.
"It was clear [that] basically the idea of the report was to find out private information about the main lawyers who were involved in the phone-hacking litigation."
She said the dossier contained details of her "private life, political affiliations, career aspirations, how well people got on".
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- < Previous
- Next >