Phone hacking victims' lawyer Charlotte Harris was target of 'vast gossip dossier'
Charlotte Harris, a lawyer, has claimed that private investigators compiled a dossier of "gossip" about her private life when she acted on behalf of victims of phone hacking.
Giving evidence to the Home Affairs Select Committee, Ms Harris said that News Corp's management and standards committee had passed some details about her surveillance to Scotland Yard. Ms Harris, a partner at Mishcon de Reya, claimed she was targeted because she had "stumbled across a ream of activity that News International didn't want to come out". She added: "The police showed me the file. It was vast compared to evidence I've seen on other people.
"It was clear [that] basically the idea of the report was to find out private information about the main lawyers who were involved in the phone-hacking litigation."
She said the dossier contained details of her "private life, political affiliations, career aspirations, how well people got on".
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 3 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 4 James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed