Police driver suspended after car kills cyclist

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A police car knocked down and killed a 16-year-old cyclist as it responded to an emergency without its siren on, officers said today.

The Scotland Yard officer was suspended from driving as an investigation was launched into the death of Khaleel Khan, who died as he made his way across a pedestrian crossing in East Ham, east London, in the early hours of Saturday.

Scotland Yard said it had passed on details of the incident to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

The Met said the vehicle had its lights on but did not sound its siren as it responded to the emergency.

A spokeswoman said: "The car was answering an emergency call. The London Ambulance Service attended, but the cyclist died at the scene."

A post-mortem at East Ham mortuary yesterday gave cause of death as a severe fracture of the neck at the base of the skull, she added. An inquest will open and adjourn tomorrow.

The spokeswoman added: "The Directorate of Professional Standards has been informed and is investigating the circumstances of the incident.

"We ask any witnesses to contact DPS officers on 020 8785 8738.

"As is routine, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has been informed."

It comes less than a month after a woman was killed in Kent when her car was involved in an accident with an unmarked Metropolitan Police car.

A spokesman for the IPCC said investigators from the watchdog were yet to launch a full-scale inquiry.

He added: "The IPCC is carrying out an initial assessment of the circumstances to determine whether we need to be involved in further investigations."

Khaleel was taking his GCSEs at Langdon School and had applied to study at Newvic College in Plaistow, according to reports.

His uncle, Afsa, 41, told London's Evening Standard: "He was a very bright boy. On Saturday he passed away and the same day he got his letter of acceptance from college. It's horrible."