Police force goes to watchdog over sex killer failure
The police force monitoring serial sex attacker Peter Chapman before he fled to kidnap, rape and murder Ashleigh Hall has referred itself to the Independent Police Complaints Commission, it said today.
Merseyside Police were meant to be keeping tabs on Chapman.
But after realising he had vanished from his Kirkby home early last year, they left it nine months before issuing a national wanted alert.
Today, a spokesman said: "Merseyside Police can confirm that an internal review was carried out following the arrest of Peter Chapman in October last year.
"Following the review, a number of procedural improvements were identified and subsequently implemented.
"However, in view of the public interest and concerns raised following the conviction of Peter Chapman and to ensure complete transparency in terms of this particular matter, the force has referred it to the Independent Police Complaints Commission."
Chapman, sentenced to a minimum of 35 years in jail, was last seen by police at his home on August 29, 2008.
An officer spoke to him on the telephone on September 24 that year about a forklift truck course he was doing.
Merseyside Police said that, up to this point, he "had remained fully compliant with his registration requirements" - forced on him by being on the sex offenders register.
Police visited his home on January 6, 2009 to discuss a traffic matter but he was not in.
Different officers were supposed to visit him a month later in line with his sex parole checks but again he was not in.
The force maintains that officers then worked to establish his whereabouts locally.
But it was not until September last year - just a month before he murdered Ashleigh - that the police issued a nationwide wanted alert.
The force referred its handling and review of the Chapman case to the IPCC after Home Secretary Alan Johnson demanded answers.
The minister called on the police to "respond" and said lessons "needed to be learned" following Ashleigh's murder.
Today, Ashleigh's mother, Andrea Hall, branded the 33-year-old murderer inhuman and called for closer monitoring of sex offenders.
And Mrs Hall, 39, appearing on ITV's This Morning, said the authorities should make public where sex offenders live.
She said: "He took my daughter.
"He shouldn't be allowed human rights; he's not human, is he?
"How is he human?
"He murdered my daughter.
"She was 17 and he knew exactly what he was doing and there was no remorse whatsoever.
"He had it planned... and she was such a lovely girl and that's probably why he targeted her."
Mrs Hall added that she would never let her remaining three daughters, aged between one and six, use social networking website
The Independent's live blog of today's Premier League action
Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
4Chan naked photos leak: Celebrity Twitter reactions to the mass breach of privacy
Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 4 Matthew Miller: American sentenced to hard labour in North Korea 'wanted to be Snowden II'
- 5 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death