Police get more time to quiz car blast suspect

Detectives have been granted more time to quiz a man on suspicion of attempting to murder his pregnant wife after she was seriously injured in a car blast.

Victoria Fabian, 32, was transferred to a London hospital for specialist treatment after she suffered terrible leg injuries in the explosion in a communal car park.

Doctors believe her unborn child escaped unharmed from the blast just after 1pm on Friday in the village of Vigo, near Meopham, Kent.

Hours later, police arrested her husband, Nicholas Fabian, also 32 and believed to be a former bomb disposal expert who was expected to be posted to Afghanistan shortly.

His mother, Kathleen Mitchell-Hewson, told reporters that he was due to be sent to Afghanistan next week as a reservist, having left the Army in 2003.

Detectives were yesterday granted a further 28 hours to question him as cordons around the scene in Highview in the village were lifted.

Officers said there were people nearby at the time of the explosion, but no-one else was hurt.

A Kent Police spokesman said: "A number of homes were evacuated and residents were cared for at a temporary rest centre set up in the village hall."

Villagers described hearing a massive explosion before smoke could be seen rising above the car park.

One witness said Mrs Fabian's legs had been "shredded" by the explosion while others spoke of hearing a loud boom throughout the village.

Resident Vincent Redman, 17, told reporters: "I went out with my mum and her partner and she was in the driver's seat screaming.

"Her legs were shredded - one was badly burnt and the other was all bloodied."

Tracy Daniels, who lives in the village, said: "It was like a boom noise in the distance.

"I thought, 'I've never heard a noise like that before'."

Mrs Fabian was taken to Darent Valley Hospital in Dartford before being transferred to a London hospital but she is not in a life threatening condition.

Roads surrounding the scene were sealed off and nearby homes evacuated before Army bomb disposal experts declared the wrecked car safe.

Police and the Ministry of Defence have not commented on Mr Fabian's Army links.

An MoD spokesman said: "We are aware of an incident in Kent which is being investigated by the civil police. It is a matter for Kent Police."