Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.

Police given more time to question pair over critically-injured baby found at foot of Wolverhampton tower block rubbish chute


Police have been given a further 36 hours to question two people about the discovery of a critically injured baby at the foot of a tower block rubbish chute.

Magistrates granted the warrant of further detention to West Midlands Police this morning, allowing officers to hold both suspects until late tomorrow.

A senior officer had previously authorised the continuing detention of the 24-year-old woman and 32-year-old man who were arrested on Sunday.

The woman is being held on suspicion of attempted murder and the man is being questioned on suspicion of helping an offender after the "very young" baby girl was found in a refuse collection area at a block of flats in Wolverhampton.

Officers were called to a flat in Boscobel Crescent at around 6.30pm on Sunday on a report of a missing child.

The baby was subsequently found with serious injuries and is now in Birmingham Children's Hospital in a critical condition.

Speaking yesterday, Detective Inspector John Smith said that West Midlands Police's public protection unit is investigating the case.

"We are making a number of inquiries to establish how this young baby has come to sustain her injuries, and how she came to be found in the refuse area of the flats," the officer said.

"The two people who have been arrested are related to the baby and we are currently not seeking anyone else as part of our inquiries."