Police hunting letter bomber name suspect

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Police investigating a letter bomb campaign released the name yesterday of a man they wished to interview. They said Justin McAuliffe, 32, had not been seen since he left his flat in Bedford last Saturday.

Police investigating a letter bomb campaign released the name yesterday of a man they wished to interview. They said Justin McAuliffe, 32, had not been seen since he left his flat in Bedford last Saturday.

Detective Superintendent Nicky Dahl said 30 explosive devices had been received through the post in the Luton area since Saturday. Another went to a pub in Blackpool. Det Supt Dahl saidMr McAuliffe should not be approached. He urgedvigilance because more packages could still be in the postal system.

He said: "We are increasingly concerned for Justin's welfare and urge him to come forward to speak to police. We have established links between some of the recipients and we are still working on a motive." He said Mr McAuliffe had been living in Bedford for the past 12 months. He was originally from Luton, where most of his family still live.

The first six bombs reached addresses in Luton last Saturday and a further four were recovered from sorting offices. Thirteen more were discovered over the weekend. One man suffered minor injuries after opening a package containing a plastic sandwich box filled with lighter fuel. Police said another parcel emitted smoke when it was opened.

¿ Postal deliveries were delayed yesterday when more than 100 workers at the north-west Midlands mail centre in Wolverhampton staged an unofficial protest over the introduction of the single daily delivery system.