Police name suspect after man is killed in an apparent gun and explosives attack
Saturday 11 August 2012
Detectives investigating the death of a man who was killed during an apparent gun and explosives attack have released a picture of a suspect.
Dale Cregan, 29, is wanted for questioning after the body of a 46-year-old man was found in the Clayton area of Greater Manchester yesterday.
Police were called to an address in Folkestone Road East at around 10.30am following reports of gunfire and discovered the victim. Officers also believe an explosion occurred at the scene.
At 10.39am the force received reports that shots had been fired at a second house, on Luke Road, Droylsden, where detectives believe there was also an explosion. Nobody was injured in this incident.
Greater Manchester Police said both incidents are thought to be linked and may be connected to the murder of Mark Short in Droylsden earlier this year.
Mr Short was shot in the neck at the Cotton Tree Pub on May 25 after a gunman walked in and opened fire. Three other men were also shot in the pub and received leg and back injuries.
Cregan, from Droylsden, Tameside, is also wanted in connection with the murder of Mr Short.
GMP warned members of the public not to approach the suspect but to contact officers if any sightings are made.
Speaking about yesterday's incidents, Assistant Chief Constable Garry Shewan said: "We still don't know with any certainty what happened or why, but we do believe both incidents are linked and are looking at the very real possibility that they are connected to the recent fatal shooting of a young man at a pub in Droylsden."
He added: "We believe the answers to what happened lie in the community and would appeal to anyone with any information to come forward.
"We have issued a picture of Dale Cregan and I would urge anyone who knows of his whereabouts to come forward.
"If you see him, do not approach him but call police immediately.
"Without question people in Clayton, Droylsden and across Greater Manchester will be concerned and I want to reassure them that we don't believe there is a threat to the general public."
Mr Shewan said extra officers, including specialist firearms officers, had been drafted into both areas with the force maintaining a significant police presence over the coming days
A post-mortem examination will take place to establish how the dead man, who has not been named, died.
Anyone with any information is asked to call police on 0161 856 3301 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
South Korea ferry passengers who were told to stay put 'got trapped' aboard sinking ship
Are beards attractive? Ryan Gosling says yes, but science says no. Take the A-list facial hair challenge and find out who's right
Andre Johnson: Wu-Tang Clan-discovered rapper severed his penis and jumped from LA building
Oscar Pistorius trial: Defence witness 'unqualified' to testify
Oscar Pistorius trial: Defence witness contradicts athlete's version in new blow for defence team
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for sale...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Babies cry at night to stop mothers procreating, scientists claim
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 Andre Johnson: Wu-Tang Clan-discovered rapper severed his penis and jumped from LA building
- 5 Mrs Doubtfire 2: Robin Williams set to star in sequel to 1993 comedy