Police officer could face murder charge
Wednesday 11 April 2012
A police firearms officer was warned last night he could face a murder charge for shooting an unarmed man in a village car park.
The Greater Manchester Police officer was interviewed under criminal caution by the police watchdog yesterday over the death of Anthony Paul Grainger.
The 36-year-old, from Bolton, died of a single gunshot wound to the chest after the car he was in was stopped in Culcheth, Cheshire, last month.
An Independent Police Complaints Commission statement said: "The officer has been interviewed on suspicion he may have committed a criminal offence.
"The IPCC remains in close liaison with the Crown Prosecution Service and at this stage a range of potential offences are under consideration, including unlawful act manslaughter and murder."
Mr Grainger, who worked as an odd job man, died in what police described as a "pre-planned operation".
The IPCC said no weapons were found in the vehicle, which had been stolen and had false registration plates.
The watchdog told Mr Grainger's family last week the shooting was being investigated as a criminal matter.
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes
- 1 Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Christian blogger says she will not wear leggings in public because they entice men and cause them to look at her 'lustfully'
- 4 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'