Police officer left gun behind in house raid
Wednesday 18 April 2012
A police officer is facing disciplinary action for leaving a gun behind after a house search.
Police had raided the property in the Ardoyne area of north Belfast and arrested a 39-year-old man on suspicion of dissident republican activity.
It is understood the firearm and ammunition was left in a child's bedroom, though there were no children in the house at the time.
Upon realising the weapon was missing, police said they returned to the house and retrieved it 20 minutes later.
A PSNI spokesman said the incident was being treated very seriously.
"After the search an item of officer's personal equipment, a gun belt which included a firearm, was discovered missing," he said.
"Police returned to the address after approximately 20 minutes and with the consent of the householder retrieved the item.
"Police are treating the temporary loss of this equipment extremely seriously and have commenced an internal disciplinary investigation into the circumstances of the incident."
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 3 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 4 James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed