Police officer left gun behind in house raid
Wednesday 18 April 2012
A police officer is facing disciplinary action for leaving a gun behind after a house search.
Police had raided the property in the Ardoyne area of north Belfast and arrested a 39-year-old man on suspicion of dissident republican activity.
It is understood the firearm and ammunition was left in a child's bedroom, though there were no children in the house at the time.
Upon realising the weapon was missing, police said they returned to the house and retrieved it 20 minutes later.
A PSNI spokesman said the incident was being treated very seriously.
"After the search an item of officer's personal equipment, a gun belt which included a firearm, was discovered missing," he said.
"Police returned to the address after approximately 20 minutes and with the consent of the householder retrieved the item.
"Police are treating the temporary loss of this equipment extremely seriously and have commenced an internal disciplinary investigation into the circumstances of the incident."
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 1 Germanwings crash: Police make 'significant discovery' at home of co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 2 Germanwings captain Patrick Sondenheimer tried to break into locked cockpit door 'with an axe' as plane was descending
- 3 Zayn Malik already working on solo material, just days after quitting One Direction
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student