Police use big red bus to look inconspicuous
Friday 29 June 2012
Police have arrested suspected con artists by creeping up on them in a double-decker bus.
Undercover officers from the Metropolitan Police commandeered a red London bus and pulled up alongside dozens of alleged gambling tricksters just yards from the Houses of Parliament.
The illegal gamers are said to target tourists on Westminster Bridge.
Officers made more than 12 arrests.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "By using the bus to arrive unseen and en masse officers were able to arrive right next to the suspects and quickly fill the area to prevent the suspects' escape and make at least 12 arrests."
Boris Johnson, the London Mayor, said: "We are rightly clamping down on the gangs of illegal gamers and thieves who can make visiting central London a misery."
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- < Previous
- Next >