Policeman stabbed in neck with bottle
A fairground reveller was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after stabbing a police officer in the neck with a bottle.
The officer, aged in his thirties, chased the suspect and arrested him in a nearby street after he was assaulted at a funfair in Carshalton, south London.
Detective Sergeant Nick Burrows, who is leading the inquiry, said the officer was attacked without warning from behind.
He said the officer suffered a minor wound to his neck and was protected from more serious injury by his stab-proof vest.
Mr Burrows said: "This was a random attack on an officer. His Metvest prevented him from suffering a more serious injury."
The attack took place in the recreation ground in Wrythe Lane, Carshalton, south London, at about 8.30pm on Sunday.
The victim was an officer based at Sutton's Safer Neighbourhoods Team, tasked with dealing with local disorder and nuisance.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "We are appealing for witnesses after a police officer was attacked with a bottle in the neck at a fair
"The officer from the Safer Neighbourhoods Team was talking to members of the public when he was attacked from behind by a man wielding a bottle.
"He received a cut to his neck but did not require hospital treatment."
The suspect remained in custody at a south London police station today.
* Anyone who witnessed the incident should contact Sutton Police Station on 0208 649 0743.
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition