Policeman stabbed in neck with bottle
A fairground reveller was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after stabbing a police officer in the neck with a bottle.
The officer, aged in his thirties, chased the suspect and arrested him in a nearby street after he was assaulted at a funfair in Carshalton, south London.
Detective Sergeant Nick Burrows, who is leading the inquiry, said the officer was attacked without warning from behind.
He said the officer suffered a minor wound to his neck and was protected from more serious injury by his stab-proof vest.
Mr Burrows said: "This was a random attack on an officer. His Metvest prevented him from suffering a more serious injury."
The attack took place in the recreation ground in Wrythe Lane, Carshalton, south London, at about 8.30pm on Sunday.
The victim was an officer based at Sutton's Safer Neighbourhoods Team, tasked with dealing with local disorder and nuisance.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "We are appealing for witnesses after a police officer was attacked with a bottle in the neck at a fair
"The officer from the Safer Neighbourhoods Team was talking to members of the public when he was attacked from behind by a man wielding a bottle.
"He received a cut to his neck but did not require hospital treatment."
The suspect remained in custody at a south London police station today.
* Anyone who witnessed the incident should contact Sutton Police Station on 0208 649 0743.
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27