Policewoman in Norfolk sues petrol station owner over alleged injuries she got during a call-out

Leading MP says eventual ruling could have 'huge implications for every citizen'

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A police officer will sue a petrol station owner on whose property she tripped and - she claims- injured herself.

PC Kelly Jones was attending a night-time report of a break-in at the Harvest filling station in Thetford, Norfolk last summer.

Now she claims she fell on the six inch kerb and injured her leg, and that the call exposed her to "an unnecessary risk of injury."

Her case makes a total of 11 allegations against him – including that he failed to turn the lights on or warn her of the kerb.

She says she injured her left leg and her right wrist in the fall.

Petrol station owner Steve Jones told the Daily Mail: "I am incredulous that I am being sued by a police officer whose duty is to protect the public.

"How can anyone feel safe calling the cops if they size you up for compensation while they’re fighting crime?

"Surely policing has elements of both public service and risk. Isn’t that what officers sign up for when they put on the uniform – chasing villains and keeping us safe?"

Norfolk Police said the force was "wholly unaware of this litigation", which "appears to be instigated privately" by the officer."

A spokesman said: "We have a duty of care to any officer injured whilst on duty, to support their continued health and well-being and fitness to return to work.

"Officers can, in addition, receive further support from their staff association, as well as pursuing private treatment."

Keith Vaz, chairman of the Commons Home Affairs Committee, said: "This civil claim will have huge implications for every citizen if they call police out to their premises to help them in an emergency.

"It is in the public interest to know where exactly people stand in  circumstances like this. If there  are going to be cases like this, then  people will feel reluctant to call the police in case they are sued."