£90k benefits for mother living abroad
A man today admitted a complex benefits scam in which he claimed more than £90,000 in his mother's name.
Mohammed Abdur Rashid, 52, of Uplands, Swansea, South Wales, claimed an array of benefits for his mother despite the fact she was living abroad long-term.
Rashid's mother, Mrs Tasbir Begun Latif, was living with relatives in India for periods of up to 11 months.
Rashid admitted five specimen charges linked to the benefit fraud when he appeared at Swansea Crown Court.
An interpreter translated the details of the complex indictment into Bengali as it was put to him.
Rashid also asked the court to take an unspecified number of other similar offences into account.
Carl Harrison, prosecuting for the Department of Work and Pensions, said the total amount fraudulently claimed was £92,847 over a period of six years from February 2001.
The range of benefits claimed included everything from pension credit payments to housing and council tax benefits to a carer's allowance and a disability living allowance.
Rashid's mother was absent from the UK from February 2001 until the start of December of the same year during one claims period.
The case against him was adjourned today until 14 August to allow the completion of pre-sentence reports.
Rashid, whose UK passport has previously been seized by officers from the Department of Work and Pensions, was released on conditional bail.
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for the murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- < Previous
- Next >