Pressure grows on Twitter to act on rape threats after Labour MP Stella Creasy calls in police
Tens of thousands sign petition calling on social media site to crack down on abusive internet trolls
Emily Dugan
Emily Dugan is social affairs correspondent for The Independent, i and Independent on Sunday, covering Sarah Cassidy’s maternity leave. She was previously a news reporter for The Independent on Sunday. Her investigations into human trafficking have twice been awarded Best Investigative Article at the Anti-Slavery Day Media Awards and her human rights journalism was shortlisted for the Gaby Rado Memorial prize at the 2012 Amnesty Media Awards.
Monday 29 July 2013
From the blogs
Interview with Kozzie, the young veteran
Lewisham MC Kozzie may be young, but when he speaks about his experiences in the grime scene you wou...
Social media keeps Mexico’s elites in check
A Mexican police officer has been fired after a YouTube video showing him humiliating a child sparke...
Children’s Book Blog: Recommended read – The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
A mysterious villain tasked with murdering an entire family finds his mission thwarted when the youn...
Eastern Electrics: Owner Rob Star on the UK’s biggest ever underground dance festival
This weekend one of the UK's biggest ever underground electric music festivals takes place on the ha...
Related articles
-
Twitter threats: Man arrested over rape-threat tweets against campaigner Caroline Criado-Perez
-
Twitter troll forced to apologise after calling historian Mary Beard a 'filthy old slut'
-
Rape threats on Twitter won't get women to shut up. If we shout back we'll win
-
Trolls, Caroline Criado-Perez, and how to tackle the dark side of Twitter
An MP who received rape threats on Twitter called in the police on Monday amid growing pressure on the social networking site to tackle abuse.
The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) joined calls on Monday for the site to improve the way it deals with internet trolls, as more than 60,000 people signed a petition demanding the social network improve its regulation of abusive users.
Stella Creasy MP was targeted after defending the campaigner Caroline Criado-Perez, who was threatened with rape and murder on Twitter after successfully lobbying for women to be commemorated on banknotes.
Ms Creasy reported a stream of violent threats she received on the site and pledged to take on abusers. One message sent to the Labour MP yesterday said: “You better watch your back... Im [sic] gonna rape your ass at 8pm and put the video all over the internet.”
Another sent late on Sunday night from a Twitter account called @rapey1 threatened: “i will rape you tomorrow at 9pm .... shall we meet near your house??????”
Creasy re-tweeted the messages on her own page using the slogan #takebacktwitter and reported the user to the police. Commenting on her experience, she said “This is not about Twitter, this is about hatred of women and hatred of women who speak up. And indeed, some of those people sending the messages have been absolutely explicit about that.”
She added: “Twitter needs to be explicit that sexual violence and sexual aggression will not be tolerated as part of their user terms and conditions. We can all challenge these people and when this happens to me in other occasions I tend to retweet it so people can say, ‘This is not acceptable’.”
The classicist Mary Beard was also subject to “highly offensive” sexually explicit abuse on the site yesterday and managed to stop it after naming and shaming the man. Professor Beard, who is professor of classics at the University of Cambridge, retweeted a post from Oliver Rawlings which read: “retweet this you filthy old slut. I bet your vagina is disgusting.”
Other users responded by condemning Mr Rawlings – and even threatening to send Professor Beard his mother’s address, so she could report him. Within minutes he responded: “I sincerely apologise for my trolling. I was wrong and very rude. Hope this can be forgotten and forgiven.”
The chairman of Acpo communications advisory group, Andy Trotter, said that Twitter was not doing enough to combat internet trolls. “I think there is a lot more to be done”, he said.
“They need to take responsibility as do the other platforms to deal with this at source and make sure these things do not carry on. They need to make it easier for victims to report these matters and, from a police perspective, they need to know that they can report these things to us.”
In an interview on BBC Radio 4, Mr Trotter said officers did not want to be “policing the internet all day long”, but “when it comes to really outrageous behaviour, it must be reported to us and we will deal with these people.”
A Change.org petition set up in the wake of the Criado Perez abuse at the weekend now has 62,000 signatures. It is calling for the site to have a “zero-tolerance” position on abuse and introduce a “report abuse” button.
A Twitter spokeswoman said: “The ability to report individual tweets for abuse is currently available on Twitter for iPhone, and we plan to bring this functionality to other platforms, including Android and the web. She added: “We don’t comment on individual accounts. However, we have rules which people agree to abide by when they sign up to Twitter. We will suspend accounts that, once reported to us, are found to be in breach of our rules.”
- 1 Is the Muslim call to prayer really such a menace?
- 2 Channel 4 to 'provoke' viewers who associate Islam with terrorism with live call to prayer during Ramadan
- 3 US army doctor returns arm to Vietnamese soldier fifty years after he took it as a souvenir
- 4 Police seize possessions of rough sleepers in crackdown on homelessness
- 5 Demand for food banks has nothing to do with benefits squeeze, says Work minister Lord Freud
-
Apocalyptic images reveal the shocking scale of devastation in Syria
-
A way of life on the brink of extinction in the Louisiana bayous
-
Wilko Johnson: 'You have to live for the minute you're in'
-
'The party is over': Spain threatens border fee as Gibraltar row escalates
-
Doctor Who announcement: Peter Capaldi unveiled as 12th incarnation of Time Lord
How will you make today delicious?
Tell us how you plan to make today delicious and you could win a £50 M&S gift card.
Win a three-night weekend break for two in Stockholm
Hesperus Press are offering the chance to win a three-night weekend away for two to Stockholm.
Summer food reader survey
Take our grocery shopping survey for your chance to win a £100 M&S store gift card.
See Norway’s spectacular coastline
There is no finer way to discover and explore the dramatic Norwegian coastline than aboard an authentic Hurtigruten cruise.
Where's Wallonia?
War and peace: history revisited in the cities of Southern Belgium - a travel guide in association with the Belgian Tourist Office.
Win first-class inter-rail passes
Win first-class rail passes to explore the sights and sounds of Europe with redspottedhanky.com.
Celebrate the joy of reading with NOOK®
You can buy a NOOK Simple Touch Glowlight at £69, or the NOOK HD 8GB Tablet for just £99 - until 3 September.
Enter the latest Independent competitions
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Business videos from commercial thought leaders
Watch the best in the business world give their insights into the world of business.
Day In a Page
Special report: How my father's face turned up in Robert Capa's lost suitcase
The unmade speech: An alternative draft of history
Funny business: Meet the women running comedy
DJ Taylor: Who stole the people's own culture?
Guest List: IoS Literary Editor suggests some books for your summer holiday
Rupert Cornwell: What if Edward Snowden had stayed to fight his corner?
Comedian Tig Notaro: 'Hello. I have cancer'
Bill Granger's Asia-influenced egg recipes
