Pub customers tackle armed robbers
Sunday 17 November 2013
An armed robber who tried to hold up a pub was overpowered by customers who held him until gardai arrived.
Two men armed with a knife and a shotgun entered the bar on Marsh Street, Drogheda, at about 8.15pm last night.
But when they held up staff, drinkers intervened and managed to hold one of the raiders. His accomplice fled the scene with a small amount of cash, which was later recovered.
Investigating gardai said a customer and a bar worker were injured during the struggle. They were taken to hospital with injuries which are not believed to be life-threatening.
A 21-year-old man was arrested once gardai arrived at the pub. He is being detained under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act at Drogheda garda station.
A Garda spokesman said: "The investigation is ongoing."
George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained in Los Angeles after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Scottish independence: Britain faces 'constitutional crisis' at next election
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
- 1 Amy Winehouse statue unveiled in Camden
- 2 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 3 George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
- 4 Headaches, fry ups, and hair of the dog - why do we get hangovers, and is there such thing as a 'cure'?
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims