Raheem Sterling cleared: Liverpool winger found not guilty of assault
Case against footballer dropped after evidence supplied by ex-girlfriend judged to be ‘dissapointing’
Friday 20 September 2013
Raheem Sterling, the Liverpool midfielder accused of attacking 19-year-old model Shana Ann Rose Halliday, has been cleared of all charges.
The assault case, which was being held at Liverpool Magistrates’ Court, collapsed when the footballer’s ex-girlfriend failed to support the prosecution’s case by giving “disappointing” evidence.
Miss Halliday, a former winner of England’s Top Model from Liverpool, alleged that the football player attacked her following a row over a text message.
The footballer spent the night in a police cell in Merseyside when he was arrested for the alleged crime on 8 August in Page Moss, Huyton, Liverpool.
Sterling, 18 from Southport, was signed to Liverpool from Queens Park Rangers in 2010 and gained an international cap for England in 2012.
Kenya bus attack: Primary school head teacher plays dead to escape slaughter by Islamic extremists
Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'