Rolf Harris arrested for a second time - over further sex allegations
83-year-old held 'on suspicion of sexual offences in connection with Operation Yewtree'
Cahal Milmo is the chief reporter of The Independent and has been with the paper since 2000. He was born in London and previously worked at the Press Association news agency. He has reported on assignment at home and abroad, including Rwanda, Sudan and Burkina Faso, the phone hacking scandal and the London Olympics. In his spare time he is a keen runner and cyclist, and keeps an allotment.
Monday 05 August 2013
Australian entertainer Rolf Harris has been told he faces further allegations of sexual offences when he was arrested for a second time.
The 83-year-old artist, from Bray, Berkshire, was arrested on suspicion of the unspecified offences when he answered police bail as part of Operation Yewtree, the national investigation into historic sex crimes launched following the revelation of abuse carried out by Jimmy Savile.
Mr Harris was originally interviewed under caution last November following the execution of a search warrant on his riverside home on the Thames.
He was not revealed as a suspect in Yewtree until April when, after months of speculation on social media and internet, the Sun became the first mainstream outlet to identify him in connection with the investigation.
In a statement, Scotland Yard did not name the broadcaster but said a man had been "further arrested on suspicion of sexual offences in connection with further allegations made to Operation Yewtree".
The veteran performer, who played at the Queen's diamond jubilee concert outside Buckingham Palace last year, has been a household name for decades, scoring his first chart hit - Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport - in 1960. In more recent years he has gained a cult status, performing at the Glastonbury festival several times.
In May, the Australian performed his first live show since his arrest over the historical sexual assault claims, emotionally thanking fans for their support at the performance in Bristol.
He told the crowd: "You've no idea what this means, for you all to turn up with such support and such enthusiasm."
Operation Yewtree is focusing on three areas - claims involving Savile, who was found to have committed more than 200 sexual crimes, those involving the shamed DJ and others, and those involving others.
Mr Harris is being dealt with under the "others" strand, meaning the allegations have no link to Savile.
He was bailed till later in August.
Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
Jennifer Lawrence: Leaked 4Chan sex video branded 'fake' by users
Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked next, threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 4 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair