Runaway gun man leaves messages for police on blog site
Monday 13 April 2009
An armed man who gave the police the slip after they surrounded his home has since been taunting officers with messages on the internet.
Police were called to an address in Shoebury, near Southend-on-Sea, Essex, at midday on Friday. Officers surrounded the house and a police helicopter was in attendance, but when they entered the property at 3pm they found that the man, believed to be 24-year-old Mark Norton, had escaped.
A blogger alleging to be the former prison inmate has left three messages on the website of local newspaper The Echo. "I was arrested for breach of bail ... I would have been interviewed, kept in over night and then remanded into custody," he said. "I wasnt [sic] going to let this happen, I am on licence recall and would have to have served the other three years of my previous sentence."
He also wrote: "Doing what I did was a bad decision and has ruined my life. I want to apologise to the people of Shoebury for what happened but you have no idea what were my reasons."
Essex Police has recovered a firearm from Southend seafront.
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'