Sarah Payne killer attacked in prison
The man convicted of murdering schoolgirl Sarah Payne has been attacked by a fellow inmate in prison, sources said today.
Roy Whiting is believed to have suffered eye injuries during the alleged assault in Wakefield Prison, West Yorks, yesterday morning.
It is understood the paedophile, 52, was taken to hospital for treatment following the incident but his injuries are not believed to be life threatening.
A spokesman for West Yorkshire Police confirmed that officers were called to an incident involving two prisoners at Wakefield Prison at around 8.39am yesterday morning, but would not comment on their identities.
"We were called in relation to an allegation of assault at Wakefield Prison just after 8.39am yesterday morning," said the spokesman.
"We were contacted by prison staff who informed us there had been a fight between two prisoners.
"One of the inmates received injuries but they are not thought to be life threatening."
A Prison Service spokesperson said yesterday: "A prisoner at HMP Wakefield was assaulted this morning and received an eye injury. He was treated in the prison's healthcare wing.
"HMP Wakefield manages violent and dangerous prisoners every day and events such as this are rare. The bravery and speedy response of staff ensured that this incident was dealt with swiftly and effectively."
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist