Sarah Payne killer attacked in prison
The man convicted of murdering schoolgirl Sarah Payne has been attacked by a fellow inmate in prison, sources said today.
Roy Whiting is believed to have suffered eye injuries during the alleged assault in Wakefield Prison, West Yorks, yesterday morning.
It is understood the paedophile, 52, was taken to hospital for treatment following the incident but his injuries are not believed to be life threatening.
A spokesman for West Yorkshire Police confirmed that officers were called to an incident involving two prisoners at Wakefield Prison at around 8.39am yesterday morning, but would not comment on their identities.
"We were called in relation to an allegation of assault at Wakefield Prison just after 8.39am yesterday morning," said the spokesman.
"We were contacted by prison staff who informed us there had been a fight between two prisoners.
"One of the inmates received injuries but they are not thought to be life threatening."
A Prison Service spokesperson said yesterday: "A prisoner at HMP Wakefield was assaulted this morning and received an eye injury. He was treated in the prison's healthcare wing.
"HMP Wakefield manages violent and dangerous prisoners every day and events such as this are rare. The bravery and speedy response of staff ensured that this incident was dealt with swiftly and effectively."
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM