Schoolboy 'killed man to save mother'
Monday 03 May 2010
Police who arrested a schoolboy on suspicion of murder after he defended his mother by killing a knife-wielding neighbour have dismissed talk of a long-running feud between the two families.
The motive for the initial attack on 53-year-old Sandra Crawford by her neighbour Jonathan London, 46, in St Albans, Hertfordshire, is unknown. Ms Crawford's 18-year-old son James Killen, had come downstairs on Friday and found his mother covered in blood. He wrested the knife from her attacker, who suffered multiple stab wounds.
Detectives arrested Mr Killen, an A-level student, on suspicion of murder, then released him on bail until June.
London, who is thought to live with his parents in the next-door house, is understood to have have been on medication for epilepsy.
Mr Killen's friend Ben Riddell, 18, said: "It was a freak tragedy and James was a hero for getting his mum's attacker off her."
Ms Crawford, an air hostess, remained in a critical condition last night in Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge.
Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
'Jihadi John': Isis executioner Mohammed Emwazi wanted to wage jihad in Somalia until his friends were betrayed and killed by al-Shabaab
Parma, Missouri: 80 per cent of town's police quit after first black mayor is elected
Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Katie Hopkins has just written a piece so hateful that it might give Hitler pause – why was it published?
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Cancel Sky at your peril: man spends 96 minutes in chat but fails to get rid of service