Scotland Yard officer made 'extremely stupid' decision to give News of the World information about new phone hacking inquiry
Following stints with Reuters and the Press Association, Martin Hickman joined The Independent as a news editor in 2001. He became the Consumer Affairs Correspondent in September 2005 and has run the paper's trenchant campaigns on packaging, bank charges and factory-farmed chicken. He writes on subjects as diverse as food, finance, energy and fashion. With Tom Watson, he is author of a new book on the phone hacking scandal, Dial M for Murdoch - News Corporation and the Corruption of Britain.
Wednesday 09 January 2013
A senior officer at Scotland Yard made an “extremely stupid” decision to give the News of the World information about a new police inquiry into phone hacking, her lawyer admitted today.
Detective Chief Inspector April Casburn was reacting in an “angry and emotional way” to resources being removed from the fight against terrorism when she contacted Rupert Murdoch’s tabloid in September 2010, Patrick Gibbs, QC, said.
Appealing to a jury not to convict the officer, who ran the Metropolitan Police’s financial investigation unit into terrorism, Mr Gibbs said that she had been acting out in the public interest when she passed information about Operation Varec on 1 September 2010.
A NOTW journalist’s note of the eight-minute call stated that DCI Casburn had been seeking to “sell” information about the hacking inquiry to the paper, a claim she describes as 'ludicrous'.
The email was later discovered by a Scotland Yard inquiry into police corruption, Operation Elveden, and DCI Casburn was charged with misconduct in public office – which she denies.
At the end of her three-day trial at Southwark Crown Court, Mr Gibbs described the call as “extremely foolish” and “extremely stupid.”
But, making his closing statement, he said that “a misjudgement, even a bad one” was too low to meet the bar of misconduct in public life.
He added: “If a bomb had gone off on a Tube train when a lot of SO15 [Scotland Yard’s Counter-Terrorism Command] people were interviewing Sienna Miller or Hugh Grant she would look a lot less stupid now, I suggest.”
Minimising her involvement, he told the jury: “We know that the News of the World printed no story, they paid her no money and she never rang again.”
For the prosecution, Mark Bryant-Heron, maintained that the note taken by NOTW journalist Tim Wood, and his subsequent testimony to the court, made plain that she had asked for money.
He also noted how DCI Casburn had added changed her defence several times in the run up to the court case.
He disputed her contention that everything she said in the call had been public knowledge as a result of media reports following a report about hacking in the New York Times on 1 September 2010.
He asked: “If it’s all out there, why the call? What’s it all about.”
He went on: “I’m afraid it’s all about money: ‘I’m on the inside track, I know all of these things, I can be really useful to you if you pay me.’ She was setting out her stall for the future.”
The jury will begin considering its verdict tomorrow.
Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Putin critic may have been murdered by Islamic extremists, says president-led committee
British are sexually uptight, dirty and drink too much – according to Spanish book
Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party