Six arrested by anti-terror police

Three men and three women were detained after raids at properties in Portsmouth, Farnborough and Greenwich

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Six people have been arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences after a series of dawn raids in the south of England.

Three men and three women were detained separately in two properties in Portsmouth, one in Farnborough and one in Greenwich following an operation by the South East Counter Terrorism Unit.

Two of the men, aged 23 and 26 from Portsmouth, and two women, aged 23 and 29 from Farnborough and Greenwich, have been arrested on suspicion of commission, preparation and instigation of acts of terrorism.

A 57-year-old man from Portsmouth is being held on suspicion of failing to disclose information about acts of terrorism, engaging in conduct in preparation of terrorist acts and arranging availability of money and property for use in terrorism.

A 48-year-old woman from Portsmouth was arrested on suspicion of failing to disclose information about acts of terrorism.

The series of warrants were carried out by counter-terror officers, working alongside colleagues from Hampshire Constabulary and the Metropolitan Police Service.

A Thames Valley Police spokesman said: "Officers would like to reassure residents that the police activity today is in relation to conflicts overseas and is not linked to any immediate threat to local communities or anywhere else in the UK."

Yesterday, in a separate operation, anti-terrorism police arrested three men in central London.

The men, aged 21, 24 and 25, were arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.

A search has taken place at a business address in west London and searches were taking place at a further four residential addresses in north west London last night, police added.

The arrests come after five further men were detained by counter-terrorism police in London last week. Two of the five men have since been released from custody, while the other three suspects remain in custody after a warrant of further detention was granted at a magistrates' court.

Counter-terror officers said they had disrupted what was believed to be the early stages of what could have turned into a “significant plot”.

Additional reporting from PA