Six arrested for 'burning Koran'
Six people have been arrested on suspicion of inciting racial hatred after footage appeared on the internet apparently showing Korans being burnt.
Two men were detained on 15 September and another four yesterday. All six were bailed pending further inquiries, Northumbria Police said.
"The arrests followed the burning of what are believed to have been two Korans in Gateshead on 11 September," the spokesman said. "The incident was recorded and a video placed on the internet."
In a video still accessible on Youtube, six young men in hooded tops or wearing scarves over their faces can be seen pouring petrol on a book and setting it alight, before burning another.
- 1 What, let gays get married? We must be bonkers
- 2 Rocky Horror star Tim Curry 'suffers major stroke'
- 3 Exclusive: How MI5 blackmails British Muslims
- 4 EDL marches on Newcastle as attacks on Muslims increase tenfold in the wake of Woolwich machete attack which killed Drummer Lee Rigby
- 5 Farewell, Shameless. Your heirs have work to do
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.