Six arrested for 'burning Koran'
Friday 24 September 2010
Six people have been arrested on suspicion of inciting racial hatred after footage appeared on the internet apparently showing Korans being burnt.
Two men were detained on 15 September and another four yesterday. All six were bailed pending further inquiries, Northumbria Police said.
"The arrests followed the burning of what are believed to have been two Korans in Gateshead on 11 September," the spokesman said. "The incident was recorded and a video placed on the internet."
In a video still accessible on Youtube, six young men in hooded tops or wearing scarves over their faces can be seen pouring petrol on a book and setting it alight, before burning another.
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >