Stuart Hall quizzed on new sex abuse allegations
Wednesday 23 October 2013
Disgraced broadcaster Stuart Hall is being questioned by detectives on suspicion of committing more historic sex offences.
Hall, 83, has been taken from prison where he is serving a 30-month jail term for sexually abusing 13 victims, one as young as nine, over a period of nearly 20 years.
The latest allegations relate to two alleged female victims aged between 12 and 15 at the time, said Lancashire Constabulary.
A police spokeswoman said: "This morning an 83-year-old man from Wilmslow in Cheshire was produced from prison and arrested by detectives on suspicion of a number of sexual offences.
"The allegations are historic and relate to two alleged female victims aged between 12 and 15 at the time. They allegedly took place in the Manchester and Derbyshire area between 1974 and 1980. We are not prepared to discuss further details at this stage.
"The man will be interviewed at a Lancashire police station during the course of the day.
"We take all allegations of sexual abuse extremely seriously. We would encourage people with any information about sexual abuse or who has been a victim of sexual abuse to come forward and report their concerns confident in the knowledge it will be investigated appropriately and with sensitivity."
Yesterday, it was confirmed the former It's A Knockout presenter had been stripped of his OBE for broadcasting and charity in the wake of his conviction for sex offences against children.
Hall was initially given a 15-month prison term at Preston Crown Court, but the Court of Appeal ruled that the sentence was "inadequate" and it was doubled in July.
In April, Hall, from Wilmslow, Cheshire, admitted 14 counts of indecent assault against girls aged between nine and 17 and a reporting ban on his pleas was lifted the following month.
Hall, whose full name is James Stuart Hall, said he had endured "a living nightmare" and, but for his "very loving family", may have considered taking his own life.
He was a familiar face and voice in British broadcasting for half a century, and his eccentric and erudite football match summaries made him a cult figure on BBC Radio 5 Live.
He also wrote a weekly sport column for the Radio Times magazine up until his arrest.
Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Rob Lowe hits out at White House decision not to meet Israeli leader
Iraq invasion 2003: The bloody warnings six wise men gave to Tony Blair as he prepared to launch poorly planned campaign
Winston Churchill: From accusations of anti-Semitism to the blunt refusal that led to the deaths of millions
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 Men behaving badly: Urinating while standing, 'manspreading' and the gendering of selfishness