Student charged over Anonymous hacks
Thursday 25 August 2011
A British student was charged today over online attacks by international hacking gang Anonymous.
Peter David Gibson, from Hartlepool, will appear before magistrates next month accused of conspiracy to do an unauthorised act in relation to a computer, Scotland Yard said.
The 22-year-old was arrested in April as part of the force's investigation into a string of high-profile attacks on companies.
Gibson, of Castleton Road, has been granted bail to appear at City of Westminster Magistrates' Court on September 7.
A number of hacking groups have claimed responsibility for distributing denial of service attacks on major companies, where websites are flooded with traffic to make them crash.
'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
Elizabeth Norment dead: House of Cards actress honoured by Kevin Spacey after she dies aged 61
Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Nigel Farage and Frankie Boyle clash over Andrew Lawrence's 'Mock the Week' criticism
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella