Swan found decapitated
Monday 27 June 2011
Council officers are investigating an incident in which a swan was left decapitated.
The body of a male swan was found by dog walkers on the banks of a lake at Northlands Park in Basildon, Essex, on Saturday morning.
The head and neck of the swan were missing and bite marks were found by the base of the neck.
Sarah Moran, Basildon Council's animal control officer, said: "We examined the body of the swan on Saturday morning and it appears the swan was either killed or at least moved by a big dog.
"The bite marks were too big for a fox and the chances of a fox attacking a swan are very slim.
"What makes it worse is that swans pair for life and whilst I was at the park on Saturday, the female swan was looking for her mate and visiting the site of the attack."
Youths with their dogs were spotted in the park on Friday evening. Council and police officers are now trying to establish what happened.
Syria conflict: President Assad finally turns on Isis as government steps up campaign against militant strongholds
Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
Iraq crisis: Islamic State's message to America - 'We will drown you all in blood'
Ferguson: In the heartlands of America, a descent into madness
Celebrity Big Brother 2014: Audley Harrison meets Kellie Maloney: 'Was Kellie really the best you could come up with?'
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations