Teen held over family deaths in fire
Thursday 12 January 2012
An 18-year-old has been arrested on suspicion of murder following a house fire at the weekend in which four siblings died.
Twins Holly and Ella Smith, aged four, and their two-year-old brother Jordan died after being overcome by smoke as they slept at home in the village of Freckleton, near Preston.
Their brother Reece, 19, died when he tried to rescue the children but was also overcome by smoke.
Yesterday, detectives were questioning a teenager from Lytham, Lancashire, after confirming that the fire started in a wardrobe in the children's bedroom. Police said the suspect was not a family member.
The blaze broke out as partygoers were gathered in the downstairs part of the converted bungalow to celebrate the 36th birthday of Michelle Smith, the mother of the children who died.
Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
Car tax disc changes: Five facts you never knew about your (almost obsolete) tax disc
Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
The Aral Sea: Nasa pictures show how what was once the fourth largest lake in the world has become almost completely dry
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 4 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 5 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- < Previous
- Next >