Teen held over family deaths in fire
Thursday 12 January 2012
An 18-year-old has been arrested on suspicion of murder following a house fire at the weekend in which four siblings died.
Twins Holly and Ella Smith, aged four, and their two-year-old brother Jordan died after being overcome by smoke as they slept at home in the village of Freckleton, near Preston.
Their brother Reece, 19, died when he tried to rescue the children but was also overcome by smoke.
Yesterday, detectives were questioning a teenager from Lytham, Lancashire, after confirming that the fire started in a wardrobe in the children's bedroom. Police said the suspect was not a family member.
The blaze broke out as partygoers were gathered in the downstairs part of the converted bungalow to celebrate the 36th birthday of Michelle Smith, the mother of the children who died.
People are criticising Fifa World Cup sponsors with corrupt corporate logos
Natalie Portman tells Harvard graduates: 'Accept your lack of knowledge'
British tourists complain impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Fifa corruption live: Sebb Blatter warns 'more bad news may follow' as he clings to power
Skull found in Spain could be the world's first-ever murder victim
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 3 Father of 12 accused of raping, beating, starving and abusing his own children in US 'cult'
- 4 Britain's Got Talent 2015: Jamie Raven divides Twitter as fans expose mind-boggling magic trick
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity