Shereka Marsh: 15-year-old girl killed in east London was shot in the neck, police say

Three teenage boys have been arrested after the star pupil was killed at a house on the edge of the Olympic park

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A teenage girl shot dead dead at a house in Hackney, east London has been named by friends on social media as 15-year-old Shereka Fab-Ann Marsh.

Police were called to reports of a shooting at a residential address in Eastway, on the edge of the Olympic park, shortly before 4pm yesterday.

Ambulances as well as London's Air Ambulance attended, but the 15-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene.

A post-mortem examination found the 15-year-old girl died from a gunshot wound to the neck.

Two 16-year-old boys and a 15-year-old boy were arrested nearby and taken to an east London police station where they remain in custody. A gun was recovered from the house, police said.

A Facebook page called 'R.I.P. Shereka' had more than 6,000 likes this morning.

The 15-year-old was a pupil at The Urswick School in Paragon Road and had just last week been chosen to show a number of visitors including the Jamaican High Commissioner around the school.

Police said they believe to know the identity of the victim but are currently informing the girl’s family and awaiting formal identification.

Tributes have flooded social media. Azmina Bhamji commented on Facebook: “The good die young.. Another angel up in heaven, she's up there smiling at everyone, rest in peace princess.”

AN40133211Police at the sce.jpg
Police at the scene in Eastway, Hackney, east London, where the teen was killed

Jessica Leonard posted: “Rest in peace beautiful Shereka you will be missed loads and we all miss you loads already.”

Kyra Atherton wrote: “People say no'ones perfect..but Shereka's the definition of perfect.”

The person who set up the tribute page posted that Shereka was “loved by everyone”, describing her as a “beautiful angel”.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “Detectives from the Met's Homicide and Major Crime Command are investigating.”

Police have been standing guard outside the terraced house where the shooting happened. A two-man forensics team arrived at the house shortly after 11am today, both wearing plastic overalls and face masks.

The street remains closed while detectives carry out their inquiries.