Teenager admits raping 15-year-old at knifepoint on Newscastle waste ground


Click to follow
The Independent Online

A teenager has admitted raping a 15-year-old girl at knifepoint in a terrifying 90-minute ordeal.

Abdul Miah, 19, from Hull Street, Elswick, Newcastle, appeared at the city's Crown Court via video-link and pleaded guilty to three counts of rape and one of robbery.

He attacked his victim on waste ground in Elswick, in Newcastle's West End, on December 18.

He denied kidnap, false imprisonment, making threats to kill and having an offensive weapon but admitted carrying a bladed article.

Judge James Goss, the Recorder of Newcastle, will sentence him next month.

Katherine Dunn, prosecuting, said those not guilty pleas were acceptable as it was not in the public interest to make the victim go through a trial.

The judge told Miah: "The pleas have been accepted so there will be no trial in respect of those counts in which you have pleaded not guilty.

"I am told there is no issue in relation to the facts of the case as described by the complainant and you will be sentenced on that basis.

"As you will understand, these are very serious crimes that you have committed and admitted."

He adjourned the case to allow for reports to be prepared in relation to the risk Miah poses, and other matters.

Miah was remanded back into custody and will be sentenced in the week commencing April 15.

The horrendous attack was overheard by the victim's mother, who had called the teenager's phone when she did not come home as expected, according to reports.

When the manhunt was still on, the girl's aunt told the Evening Chronicle newspaper: "She rang her daughter and she could hear his voice in the background, but she didn't know where she was or what was happening."

The girl was expected back at 9.30pm and, when she did not return, her mother rang her.

The mother called police after she heard Miah's voice over the phone.

He had approached her and robbed her at knifepoint, taking two mobile phones and money, before taking her to waste ground to rape her.

The aunt told the newspaper in December: "She wasn't drinking on the street like a lot of 15-year-olds do. She should have been safe."

Police later found the 4in (10cm) wooden-handled kitchen knife Miah used.