Teenager arrested over Cheryl Cole rape threat
A teenager has been arrested by police investigating a rape threat against Cheryl Cole, officers said today.
The threat was alleged to have been made in an answer phone message left on The X Factor presenter Dermot O'Leary's mobile phone last month.
Police said a boy, 17, from Tunbridge Wells, Kent, had been arrested and released on bail.
A City of London Police spokesman said: "A 17-year-old boy from Tunbridge Wells has been arrested on suspicion of malicious communication.
"The boy has been released on bail."
O'Leary, 36, joined the ITV show in 2007 - a year before the Girls Aloud star's arrival as judge.
The singer announced earlier this year that she and her footballer husband Ashley Cole were splitting following reports that the England and Chelsea star had been repeatedly unfaithful.
Cole, 26, is believed to have been alerted to the threat.
Security for The X Factor judges was apparently increased in 2008 after a tracking device was put in Simon Cowell's car.
Exclusive: World’s most pristine waters are polluted by US Navy human waste
Chicago River turns green to mark Saint Patrick's Day 2014
Saint Patrick's Day: Google Doodle marks patron saint of Ireland - here are 10 things you didn't know about the man
Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers